D e t a c h m e n t s BIOGRAPHY
Bastien Marshal (docs, keys, guitar)
Post-punk revival, Neu Coldwave, Nouveau Minimal Wave, Synthwave, Industrial, Art rock, Haunted House, Techno, Dark wave
Young & Cold, ThisIsNotAnExit Records, Hacienda Records,
Chain of Command
A 6-track mini-LP.
Taking their cues from early Factory Records, Coldwave/Minimal Wave and original Detroit Techno, Detachments gained attention from Andrew Weatherall & Ivan Smagghe, before signing with cult UK label Thisisnotanexit Records. An impressive collection of esteemed collaborators then entered the Detachments sphere e.g. Trevor Jackson (Playgroup / Output Recordings), James Ford, Heather Marlett from Salem, Martyn, Florian Meindl, Tim Goldsworthy (DFA), +
Singles Releases (pre-album)
Detachments have caused waves of excitement on the more discerning dancefloors and clubs with singles such as Optimo classic "Circles", "H.A.L." and "Holiday Romance".
Limited debut edition 12" release Fear No Fear received rapturous reviews including Single of the Day in The Times reviewed by Trevor Jackson who liked what he heard so much that he later went on to produce Messages and official debut The Flowers That Fell which achieved NME Radio A-List status, Drowned In Sound Single of The Day and BBC Radio 1 Alternative Single of The Week on Steve Lamacq's In New Music We Trust show, the track also featured at number 3 in NME magazine's ’10 Tracks You Have To Hear’ feature. Second single Circles was produced by James Ford, the package includes several acclaimed remixes including the Round&Round Mix by Dubstep pioneer Martyn, which is featured on the Fabric 50 compilation. H.A.L. soundtracked a Hugo Boss Winter Collection and Andrew Weatherall provided a storming remix which is ranked amongst his very best. B-Side Sands of Time features the ethereal vocals of Heather Marlett from Salem.
Detachments - Detachments (the album)
Producer/vintage synth aficionado James Ford (Simian Mobile Disco, Depeche Mode, Foals, Arctics, Florence & The Machine) helped bring all of the myriad influences together to form a single-minded vision of the dark-synth industrial outlook with Detachments self titled debut album. The intriguingly noirish take on prototype synth pop and post punk that was shown on the early singles developed into a debut album spanning eleven tracks that reference Minimal Wave, BBC Radiophonic Workshop and 80s UK synth acts such as Fad Gadget and Cabaret Voltaire. Detachments’ eponymous album is steeped in existential undertones and austere 'dystopia now' vision. The Guardian columnist Paul Lester nominated Detachments for Best New Bands of of the year where they sat at the top of the list. The album has gained an international, cult status leading to shows spanning the globe.
Peter Hook of Joy Division and New Order joined Detachments onstage playing bass with the band for Salford Foundation Trust - Tony Wilson Awards leading to the release of the Fade EP on Hacienda Records in 2012. 2014 saw the release of the post-punk & industrial/ dark-Italo tinged Endgame EP which received critical acclaim from the likes of Music Week, Spindle and Clash Magazine (Track of the Day). The EP heralded a time of new collaboration between Bastien and Eddy Casula (Italian producer and DJ). In 2015 Detachments made available ‘Lost Patrols' a compilation album of previously unreleased, forgotten archive tracks, selected from the studio vaults.
Detachments have played an extensive 3 figure amount of shows across half the globe e.g. from Paris to Istanbul, Milan to Stockholm, London to San Fransisco.
• Detachments (CD/LP/download album - released in various countries through ThisIsNotAnExit Records)
• Lost Patrols ( (CD/download - extras album - comprised of old unreleased tracks from the studio archives)
• Chain of Command [mini-LP] scheduled for 2018
Singles & EPs
• Fear No Fear (ltd edition 12") , produced by Sebastien Marshal
• The Flowers That Fell, produced by Trevor Jackson
• Circles, produced by James Ford
• HAL /Sands of Time (featuring Heather Marlett from Salem), produced by James Ford/Sebastien Marshal
• Holiday Romance, executive producer; James Ford
• Fade EP, [Hacienda Records], produced by Sebastien Marshal
• Endgame EP, produced by Eddie Casula & Bastien Marshal
• This is Not An Exit - Manifesto #1 - featuring "Messages" (TINAE)
• Fabric 50 - featuring "Circles" (Fabric)
• Ceremony - A New Order Tribute featuring "Perfect Kiss" and "Mr Disco" (24 Hour Service Station)
• Bill Brewster - LateNightTales Presents After Dark: Nightshift featuring "Flowers That Fell" (Night Time Stories Ltd)
• Artificial Selections 2 featuring "St Lights" (Chromatin Records)